29 May 2017

Re-Wilding... me? - The Detox

I have felt a desire for a jump start. Between the new moon (which is a part of my "rewilding" that I may or may not share), the changes in the plants with the coming summer, and some discoveries about foraging, I'm feeling a need to reset internally and really jump onto this wagon. I've spent the past few days researching detoxes that I can make from home (and don't have to purchase from some company). I want something that will naturally give me the nutrition I need and help me kick into high gear. So, here's the plan!

The Research

I read a lot on this. I listened to what others had to say about the detoxes they were doing (which seem to be popular this time of year?). I read articles from doctors I've known to have good information, and I did some general searches to see what was common among the detoxes out there. A few things stood out:

  1. A detox should NOT leave you bereft of nutrients or food. Our bodies need nutrients to function. A good detox (and I'm not even sure this is the word I want to use yet) will keep your body fueled while doing other things (see 3, 5). Additionally, our body already has processes in place to detox itself, so it is important to not work against these systems (see 3, 4).
  2. A detox should NOT be solely juices or sugars. Re-wilding means accepting that sugar should be natural, and few and far between. Our brains react to sugar the way it does (good, happy feelings, energy, etc.) because that is what we are made to do biologically -- sugar is a TREAT, and provides quick energy for a burn. 
  3. A detox is well-rounded. Our bodies are great at adjusting when we are in deficit. If we lack in one thing, our bodies will find a way to get a replacement, even if it isn't the greatest thing for us.  A detox should be able to get rid of the bad while putting in the good. 
  4. A detox should include a physical activity plan. Our body eliminates bad things through sweat as well as through the liver. 
  5. Don't detox as a way to start a healthy life. I have had a regular workout regimen for years. I have had to cut back this last year due to some genetic issues and my feet, but I still lift weights at least 3 times a week and stretch (yoga and dance) when I can. Additionally, I have decided to cut the sugar down and have passed through some serious cravings. 
  6. A detox should include 1/3 of things raw. There are lots of things you can read on why raw is important. Cooking does remove some nutrients from what we eat. 

The forming of my plan

After doing this research I decided that I wanted my detox to do a few things:
  • Work on my digestive health. I know that one of the side effects of my SAD is a slow gut if I'm not careful. I have worked for a while to keep it up to date, but have not done the best job recently. 
  • Set a plan when my body should expect nutrients. I am a firm believer in listening to what my body needs. I have also been reading about when my body should expect certain things. I am planning to have this detox help acclimate my body to a few things. Some of these are things I've been working on already, others are things I am beginning to work with:
    • Expect sugars in the morning. This will allow time to burn them off and help keep cravings to a minimum (and eventually not at all if I do it right). 
    • Expect proteins during the day and after workouts. Protein is key and helps heal muscles. 
    • Expect daily digestive nutrition. I am using a variety of things regularly to manage this: fermented foods, kombucha, live probiotics, and, when necessary, supplements. 
    • Expect good quality fat. I have never bought into the idea that fat causes high cholesterol. I also know that while a few years ago I was really good at getting that good fat, I have not been as of late (see my previous post about my love/hate of avocados). 
    • Expect water, regularly. I am okay (just okay) at drinking water. I will admit I like fizziness and the taste of diet coke. I like the taste of a well made juice or tea. I'd like to be able to drink some of these things in moderation AND drink water regularly. 
  • I expect that after this detox, I will keep many of these practices, but adjust my plan accordingly. 

The Basics

Now, to the core of this... Let me start by saying that, if you are reading this, this is MY plan. One should listen to their body, and follow a plan that is well-researched and fits their goals and needs. My plan may not work for someone else and you may find it stupid... but, this is my journey. So, any missteps are my own. 

  1. Pre-Breakfast
    1. 1 glass of lemon water
  2. Breakfast
    1. 30 minutes or so after water
    2. Fruits and protein only (raw fruit + good fats in egg; no more than 15 sugars)
  3. Morning activity
    1. regular movement through house/errands
    2. gym
    3. meal prep
    4. cleaning/etc.
    5. morning plant time (check water, talk to plants, enjoy sun)
    6. Any of these may be changed out for sun and pool time (building resistance and getting Vitamin D + swimming/treading water)
  4. Morning refuel
    1. detox water (recipes in later post)
  5. Lunch
    1. protein + raw veggies (include good fats in meat and veggies)
    2. digestive health
  6. afternoon/evening activity
    1. gym
    2. regular movement through house
    3. cleaning/etc.
    4. relax time/pamper time
  7. afternoon refuel
    1. nuts/seeds (at least 1/2 raw)
    2. plain salad + fruit (raw; no more than 5 sugars in fruit)
  8. Dinner
    1. protein (eggs, fish) + veggies (cooked/raw)
  9. Post Dinner
    1. cup of tea
      1. green tea
      2. digestive health
      3. lung health (I have severe allergies and asthma)
  10. Daily Water Consumption:
    1. 1 glass at waking
    2. glass with breakfast
    3. glass mid morning (detox water)
    4. glass before lunch
    5. glass before dinner
    6. tea
    7. regular glasses during activity as needed

My Goals

What is my point with all this? I've said it indirectly throughout, but here is a simple list:
  • get used to more water
  • jump start my system to expect certain things 
  • jump start my digestive health (again...)
  • learn to love raw :) 
Expect more soon.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment