15 May 2017

Re-Wilding ... me? - The Aha Moment

I'm not entirely sure where this journey will go. I am not sure I'll make it to the end. I don't know that I want it to end. I don't even know if the title of this blog - Re-Wilding Me? - is what I want it to be. I do know that I am committed to this journey in many ways and that I've already been on it for a while, I just didn't know it. I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm ready for serious action (and ready to document this) on account of a few things. So, I'd like to take some time and define these things, including what "re-wild" means in my context.

My "Aha!" moment

I've been on this journey of moving towards a green and sustainable life for a while. It has been a struggle between work, education, society, etc. I have gardened all my life and have been open to, if not noticing, active connections to the natural world around me. 

Recently I made a conscious choice to turn off my radio. I know this doesn't seem like a huge thing, but hear me out. I live 30 minutes (give or take) from just about everything I do. 20 from my parents, 30 from work, 20+ from my favourite grocery stores, tea shops, and restaurants, 30+ minutes from my partner. All these things are in different directions, so I really do live in one of the better places I could. So, I listen to the radio a lot. I usually listen to NPR or music when I'm in the car. As of late, I have found that the radio feeds to my exhaustion and anxiety. Rather than using the radio to tune in and be mindful, I found myself tuning out, which can be dangerous when driving a vehicle. So, I turned it off...

... and turned on podcasts. I started listening to a few podcasts recommended by friends and found that I could still get my news from NPR through their podcasts. I started small: NPR, a mindful/meditation podcast, and a human interest story podcast. In the month of so I've been doing this, it has grown to include Chinese language podcasts, a nutrition podcast, a podcast on minimalism, a financial help podcast, and this little podcast called: Rewild

I was listening to Rewild as they discussed the argument that we, humans, as we know ourselves are but domesticated versions of what we could be. The idea was that we needed to "rewild" and get back in touch with our roots. While I am not fully on board with this idea, a few things rang true to me. These things became my "aha" moment and helped me to realise that (a) this is path I've been on for a while, and (b) I am ready to fully, publicly commit to it. 

  1. The changes I make for myself must be for "my" future. It isn't enough to want change to be a better person, or look better, or be liked more. True, effective, change for oneself is most sustainable when it comes from a place that reminds us of what is to come. For me, this includes: my dogs, my family (current and future), and my environment. I already had realised some of this, but it hadn't come full circle for me. 
  2. Change isn't always for the better. The example they used was dog breeds and comparing what a wolf looks like to what a husky or a pug looks like. I started to look at the world around me. What did I recognise? Recently, my drive to work has changed. I used to spend the majority of my time driving through a 2 lane road surrounded by trees with the occasional break for a shopping center or subdivision. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that it had drastically changed in one area. What used to be a place filled with trees (and one I marked because of its lack of business) has been cut down and flattened, now marked by the dirt of my area. It saddened me. The decisions we make drastically affect our world. Change isn't always for the better. 
  3. Sugar = evil. Particularly, added sugar. In a recent conversation with a friend, we talked about just how much American society revolves around sugar. We even have competing ads about which item one should choose - sugar or corn syrup. While listening to this podcast I made the decision right then and there to cut sugar as much as I could. I went to the grocery store and made key choices to help me re-wild and get this out of my system. 
Ultimately, I am not sure where this blog will go, if I will share it, etc. I intend for it to be a number of things including a place to dump my thoughts and work through somethings (like this post), a place to share my triumphs and failures (#dumpthesugar), and a place to share ideas, poetry, and wonderings. If you are reading this, congrats! You found me or I found you. Feel free to join the conversation. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment